Source

I am the Source
Shock waves of emotions
sensations rippling up my spinal column
flood my brain with information

I am only encountering my own nervous system.

This reality outside of me
is experienced within me.
Nothing is without
but only perceived to be
So it is the same with meaning
But who am the "I" that gives it meaning
Me is just one more meaning
I take granted

"I" take for granted

There is no "I"

There is no "I"
There is no
There is
There
And the rest is silence.
~Rise, Prophet!

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Mystery Train

The King and I

Suzanne Scott on
Mystery Train

Empty streets littered with broken-down pick-up trucks, vacant lots clogged with overgrown weeds, interiors notable only for their peeling wallpaper and dingy textiles, landmarks that hardly appear to be worth marking to the naked eye—this is Jim Jarmusch’s Memphis, a ghost town where the residence of its most notable ghost, the gloriously gaudy Graceland, always looms offscreen, unreachable by the lowdown inhabitants of Mystery Train. Elvis Aaron Presley permeates each filmic short story in Jarmusch’s overlapping triad, sometimes directly, other times indirectly, but his presence is far more than simple connective tissue. In a film that ruminates on the status of the Other in American society (whether they be Japanese tourists, an Italian stranded for a lone night, or a British immigrant dissatisfied with the American dream), Elvis is the ultimate accepted Other, concurrently revered for his difference and claimed as our own. As Elvis is framed as an idol, a specter and a doppelganger in turn, his rule over the Memphis outside of Graceland’s gates (and America at large) is examined in subtle and often bittersweet detail by Jarmusch until at last the myth is secondary to our interaction with that myth and how those interactions form our identity.

Just as Graceland stands as a solitary diamond in the surrounding urban rough, Jarmusch punctuates dingy landscapes and low-class signifiers with dazzling flashes of red—a suitcase, a smear of lipstick, a pimp-worthy three-piece suit, and so on—giving the impression of a failed attempt to grab a bit of Elvis’s glamour and try it on for size, only to inevitably discover that it looks cartoonish out of context. Elvis’s very aesthetic—the greaser pompadour, the Southern drawl—peppers Jarmusch’s otherwise sparse frames, painting and pictures often hanging as defacto crucifixes on the walls, looking down on the film’s characters with doleful, doting eyes. Even staring up from a scrapbook of American iconography cobbled together by a Japanese tourist, juxtaposed side by side with the likes of Madonna and the Statue of Liberty, Elvis remains a phenomenon rather than a person.

***

10 Comments:

Blogger happy otter said...

I always loved the casting of screaming Jay as the bellhop..To me the most emblematic and memorable Elvis shows were the Vegas ones where he is so overweight, sweaty and crazed with drugs and fear yet he still delivers this amazing performance.
Did you know Elvis had a stillborn twin brother who died 5 minutes before his birth?

I shouldnt have rounded on you like that Indibiz, but you were a little insensitive to say the least.
Peace?

4:54 AM  
Blogger Indigobusiness said...

Jarmusch always seems to make excellent casting choices.

Yeah, Elvis' twin is frequently talked about over here. I seem to remember him having a name, but I'm not sure. Had he lived, we wouldn't have had two Elvises, we probably wouldn't've even had one.

After his last Vegas concert, I remember having similar thoughts, amidst mixed emotions.

The picture of him with Nixon, in the Oval Office, clouds the whole gestalt for me.

You're right. Peace.

9:50 AM  
Blogger happy otter said...

Yeah, very fucking funny...
Trust the American to use golf, the preserve of the land grabbing and the overpriviliged with too much time on their hands as a referance point.
A pastime so alien to me it took a good half minute to suss out what you were getting at...
Play much yourself?

All is fucked up at Castle Moi at present, but its all good. The winds of change howl unmercifully..Will be making a new style blog and an and explanatory post as soon as I remove this fucking Harpy from about my person.

L'Absinthe rend fou.

Wishing you well for the new year you smartass fuck.
BTW plural "Elvis"- "Elvii??"

3:54 AM  
Blogger Indigobusiness said...

Otter, you relentlessly unmerciful bastard. Sorry to hear of the ill wind in your chambers, but the Nazi golfer dig was aimed at i.:.s.:. It's almost become a running joke. I figured he could take it as intended, but I suspected you'd react personally.

It would surprise me if you wore the clothes of any sort of golfer, even if the sport can be blamed on the British. Don't use it to insult America, it won't wash.

Your point is well-taken, though and I'm as disgusted as anyone by the habits of the bourgeoisie.

Golf is fine, in it's own right. It's what you bring to it that stinks. I'm all for any excuse to grow more greenery and less concrete, steel and glass in the urban setting.

Regarding absinthe: There are 2, count 'em 2, American made genuine absinthes. I received a bottle for Christmas. Amazing stuff.

Elvii is a term frequently required in Las Vegas.

Be nice, Otter. It won't hurt.

---

BTW, Otter, The bit about absinthe making one insane 'L'Absinthe rend fou' had to be thoroughly disproved before Mr. Breaux could bring forth his American version. Can't blame that anymore.

He back-engineered it to the quality French stuff of the 1800s. Much better, and more drinkable than I expected. Bitchen.

9:04 AM  
Blogger happy otter said...

Thought the "golfer" bit referred to my shades in the pic....
A golf course may be green, but its manicured sterility is almost as hostile to any natural life as concrete...And at least you can skate(board) on concrete..
The "rend fou" quote is from the health warning on that used to grace Absinthe labels in its halcion days..It's on the cover of "Absinthia Taetra"-the design also included a small deaths head..If you dont have the album with its aesthetically glorious packaging you really should try to snag it.
Wormwood PROVEN harmless? That surprises me...Wherefore this predication? Do tell...
The Harpy is the weak minded cowering crawling, slimy cunt upstairs...Her and Mangina, her pussy whipped familiar.
The monster within me is more simian. Gradually evolving, however into a creature that walks upright...
Otter
(Trying to be nice...Really)

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any golfish aspect of your shades is overwhelmed by your "particularly good chin." Wasn't that how you referred to it? Something like that.

Even though hidden in that photo, I'll take your word for it. Although I have seen other, more revealing, photos. I'd rather argue other things.

Wormwood -Artemisia Absinthium- like any medicine, is poisonous in concentrations beyond its beneficial/therapeutic value. Quality absinthe has never been poisonous, and when the wine industry in France tried to reemerge after a collapse, it pointed to knock-off varieties (with their use of copper sulfate and other poisons) to torpedo the absinthe mkt.

It's an interesting story, and T.A. Breaux deserves much credit for setting the record straight.

The Harpy reference slowly resolved itself in my mind, hence my private mea culpa. I do commiserate.

Golf courses breathe, and some are managed organically. Management is everything, in all things. I once golfed frequently, and frequently alone, which is highly peculiar in that sphere. The game has soured.

'L'Golf rend fou'.

12:22 PM  
Blogger happy otter said...

Other photos? Courtesy Camelboy perchance? Or have you been where you shouldnt?
You been cyber stalking me or something? Its obviously within your abilities... Come on, 'fess up...
I would point out, re Absinthe and the "poison" debate, that in medical/scientific terms any psychoactive is technically a "poison". For example magic mushrooms of all kinds are categorised as such (poisonous) purely because of their effect on the human physiology. Euphoria is technically a (albeit peculiar) reaction to being poisoned.
But this is really just a descent into semiotics.
Yeah, mate...Management is everything...Absolutely.
The Absinthe site has been f-in excellent.Many thanks.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Indigobusiness said...

Semiotic technicalities make me yawn. Truth is a form of real management...I prefer that framework.

Should? What is this should? Are you now a moralist? I go where I please.

The real issue here is your exact declaration about your chin. What was that again?

You're welcome.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Indigobusiness said...

I've been thinking about what you said, Otter. It occurs to me that even water is toxic in unkind amounts -drink enough, it will kill you dead.

And that's the truth.

---

re My earlier truth comment. Truth being a motivating alchemical principle, and not a tool of contextual manipulation.

I had a bit of fun in my previous comment, but you make a good point. Something I think about quite a bit.

Euphoria is technically a reaction to being poisoned, by some poisons. And some psychoactive mushrooms are lethal in doses beyond the euphoric.

It's a shame we've come this far while going backwards in so many ways. We are divorcing ourself, culturally, from the natural world.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how many thoughts I've served up lately, unfully cooked.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

'Evil is wrought by want of thought...'

~Surah 30, Verse 41
________________




Free counters provided by Andale.
Powered by Blogger